Thursday, January 23, 2014

Current Event #2: Scientists create green glowing piglets


 So, I found this article and the first thing I thought was, "Oh my gosh. This is ridiculous! Why would you want a pig to glow??".  These scientists in Southern China have "created piglets that glow green under a black light." (Robarts, Stuart). They say that the glow is caused by a fluorescent protein from a jellyfish's DNA and it was part of an experiment to test the rate of moving genetic material between animals. Their long term goal for doing this is "to introduce beneficial genes into larger animals as a means of creating less costly and more efficient medicines.

The connection I have is with my Biology class that I took in 10th grade because it is dealing with science and the study of life which is Biology. This relates to Biology because in Biology we studied what makes life so interesting. Also, we studied what makes up the human body and how it reacts to certain things.

My position on this article is that I am against it because I don't think that it is right for scientists to experiment on anyone or anything. But, I also see the other point of view that if they experiment then they can find out if something works or not but, I still don't like the idea of them doing and possibly hurting innocent people or animals. This event doesn't really affect me in any way but, I disagree with their choice of experimenting on poor little animals.

camknows. Piglets drinking milk and sleeping. Flikrcc. web. 21 Sep. 2009. 23 Jan. 2014.

  • What is the central idea of the passage and how is it developed and refined throughout the selection? Use evidence from the selection to support your answer.
The central idea of the passage is that the scientist are experimenting on piglets and they were successful in their experiment. They videoed the piglets glowing but, you have to go to the website to see it because it is copyrighted. "Created piglets that glow green under a black light." (Robarts, Stuart).




http://www.gizmag.com/scientists-create-green-glowing-piglets/30469/

Robarts, Stuart. Scientists Create Green Glowing Piglets. Gizmag. University of Hawaii. 15 Jan. 2014. web. 23 Jan. 2014.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this topic its amazing what scientist will come to just to find out better ways to make medicine more efficient. Your blog is very well structured and kept my attention at all times. One thing that would need to change is you have a run on you added fluff to a sentence that didn't need it but other then that good job.

    1. Why don't you agree with this experiment?
    2. Would you like to see these pigs glow in the dark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, never thought I would hear about glowing pigs. I like the way you have everything organized, especially your use of bullets. I also don't agree with humans experimenting on animals, it doesn't seem right. Maybe you could go a little more in-depth on your feelings about these glowing pigs.

    ReplyDelete